We’re excited to bring Transform 2022 back in person on July 19 and pretty much July 20-28. Join AI and data leaders for insightful conversations and exciting networking opportunities. Register today!
SQL database maker Cockroach Labs, specializing in handling high-transaction, data-intensive, cloud-based services, today announced a new version of its first-line product, CockroachDB 22.1† The new edition is designed to enable app updates throughout a full development lifecycle, allowing developers to build scalable applications with seemingly less effort, the company said.
Using CockroachDB 22.1 and its automation features, engineering teams can now prototype faster, automate more operations and maintain peak performance during massive transaction spikes from start to scale with a single platform, Chief Product Officer Nate Stewart said in a media advisory.
“From prototype to production, production to mass scale, building with CockroachDB 22.1 means the database you use to get off the ground is the same one you will use as your application and customer base diversify and grow,” Stewart said.
The most important of the new features are:
- New Command Line Tool (CLI) so users can manage and scale their cluster with code
- Integrations with the popular tools Prisma and Google Pub/Sub
- Time-to-live (TTL) support, that allows developers to set a lifetime for row-level data
- Super regions address details residence rules for multi-regional and multinational companies
- Quality of service (QoS) lets users maintain high performance while processing millions of transactions per second
- Access Control and Hotspot Detection improve performance during high trade periods
- Automate deployment and scaling with a new administrative API
- Optimize performance with index recommendations and insights into transaction conflicts
The continued growth of the cloud database market over the past twelve years reflects a fundamental shift as enterprises move towards a cloud-first IT philosophy and increasingly turn to cloud databases for both new initiatives and to modernize existing systems. However, managing and scaling transaction data has remained largely a manual task and involves significant operational headaches, Stewart said.
Cockroach Labs has recently been included in: Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for the first time for cloud database management systems. “This product reflects CockroachDB’s maturity as a cloud database management system (DBMS) for transactional workloads, and the increasing interest in distributed transaction databases in the market,” the researcher said.
According to Gartner Research, Cockroach’s main competitors are:
- Oracle database
- DataStax Enterprise
- Redis Enterprise Cloud
- Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub
- IBM Db2
- couchbase server
- Databricks Lakehouse Platform
- Vertica Analytics Platform (HP)
CockroachDB 22.1 is now available†
The mission of VentureBeat is a digital city square for technical decision makers to gain knowledge about transformative business technology and transactions. Learn more about membership.