Hello and welcome back to Equitya podcast about the business of startups, where we dig into the numbers and nuance behind the headlines.
The whole team was back together this week which was pretty good as there was a lot to get through. Alex Wilhelm, Natasha Mascarenhas and Mary Ann Azevedo were on the microphone, with Elegance handle production.
What have we started? A better question might be: what have we done? not react to:
- We kicked off with an update to the businesstraverse.com Mobility event, thanks to Natasha who is on site and in the air.
- From there it was time to discuss deals as the crew analyzed the latest round of Arrived and why Kolkata Chai was taking some outside capital but very much on its own terms.
- Then it was time to chat with Zenly’s new mapping news, and why startups are crucial when it comes to hiring incumbents.
- From there we had to ask if Elon Musk really wants to buy Twitter (seemingly not?), and how tired we are about the topic itself.
- Then we talked through the recent unicorn vibe check the market got, and the fact that most unicorns aren’t real IPO candidates. (Along with news from SpotOn and Unit!)
- And to conclude, we asked about the responsibilities of tech platforms in the wake of some mass shootings in the United States; where should our expectations for content moderation on platforms begin and end?
Big hug from us to you, and we’ll talk to you on Monday!